|Specialization / Discipline
||Horticulture / Production System Management
Imparting Trainers Training on Hi Tech Banana Cultivation
|Salient Research Achievements
- Standardized season of planting for commercial cultivars of banana
- Standardized integrated weed management practices for banana
- Standardized mulching and fertigation technology
- Standardized planting systems, spacing and nutritional requirement for commercial cultivars of banana
- Standardization of technology for organic banana production
- Standardization of nutritional requirements of banana using soluble fertilizers
- Standardized spacing and nutritional requirements of banana cv. Udhayam
- Developed organic package of practices for the management of BSV & BBMV affected Poovan banana
- Standardized stage wise nutrient requirement for enhancing the quality production of banana cv. Udhayam.
- Developed Technology on the use of Bunch Cover for improving the bunch characteristics and fruit quality.
- Development of clump management technology for enhanced productivity in banana (PI)
- Studies on Nutrient Dynamics in Banana (Co-PI)
- Organic banana farming for sustainable soil health and nutritional security (Co-PI)
|Current Research Projects(External)
Development of banana sucker paring equipment and bunch harvester equipment (CC-PI)
Development of pre & post harvest bunch care management methods for fresh banana (Co P.I.)
|Area of Interest
Crop Production System Management/High Density Planting/ Integrated Nutrient Management/Precision farming/GAP for Banana/Development of Export Protocol for Banana
|Total Research Publications
|Best five Publications
- Jeyabaskaran, K. J, V. Kumar and S. Uma. 2019. Development and validation of fertilizer adjustment equations for banana cv. Grand Naine (AAA). International Journal of Innovative Horticulture, 8(2): 135-142.
- Uma, S., Kalpana, S. and Kumar, V. 2007. Evaluation of culinary Musa germplasm for fibre yield and quality. The Indian J. Agric. Sciences 77 (8): 553-557.
- Shivashankar, S. and V. Kumar. 1999. Pattern of fruit development in six banana varieties. Indian J. Plant Physiology 4 (4): 286-288.
- Uma, S., Kalpana, S., Sathiamoorthy, S. and V. Kumar. 2005. Evaluation of Commercial cultivars of banana (Musa spp.) for their suitability for fibre industry. Plant Genetic Resources Newsletter No. 142: 29-35.
- Sundararaju, P. and V. Kumar. 2003. Management of root-lesion nematode, Pratylenchus coffeae in six commercial cultivars of banana through organic and inorganic amendments. Info Musa. 12: 35-38
- Sundararaju, P., Mustaffa, M.M., Kumar, V., Cannayane, I. and Tanuja Priya, B. 2002. Effect of organic farming on plant parasitic nematodes infesting banana cv. Karpuravalli. Current Nematology 13: 39-43
- Fellow of Association for the Improvement in Production and Utilization of Banana (Fellow of AIPUB -2012).
- Fellowship of Confederation of Horticultural Associations of India (Fellowship of CHAI- 2013).