Selected peer-reviewed research publications
- Thangavelu, R. Arthee, M. Loganathan and S. Uma. 2019. Fusarium Wilt-Tropical Race 4-An Emerging Threat to Banana Cultivation and Its Management. International Journal of Innovative Horticulture. 8(1):9-21.
- Dita, M. L.A.J. Teixeira, W. O’Neill, A.B. Pattison, M.P. Weinert, C.Y. Li S.J. Zheng, C. Staver, R. Thangavelu and A. Viljoen, 2020. Current state of Fusarium wilt of banana in the subtropics. Acta Hortic. 1272. ISHS 2020. DOI 10.17660/ActaHortic.2020.1272.7.
- Thangavelu, R. M. Loganathan, R. Arthee, M. Prabakaran and S. Uma. 2020. Fusarium wilt: a threat to banana cultivation and its management. CAB Reviews 2020 15, No. 004. doi: 10.1079/PAVSNNR202015004.
- Thangavelu, R., Mostert, D., Gopi, M., Ganga Devi, P., Padmanaban, B., Molina, A. B., Viljoen, A. 2019. First detection of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. cubense tropical race 4 (TR4) on Cavendish banana in India. Eur. J. Plant Pathol. 154 (3) pp 777-786. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10658-019-01701-6
- Ganga Devi, P. Thangavelu, R. 2019. Development of species specific SCAR based molecular marker for the detection of Pseudocercospora eumusae, the causal agent of eumusae leaf spot disease in banana. Journal of Plant Pathology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42161-018-00204-3
- Thangavelu, R. and Ganga Devi, P. 2018. Rapid and sensitive detection of Pseudocercospora eumusae pathogen causing eumusae leaf spot disease of banana by loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP) method. 3 Biotech, 8:442-852. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13205-018-1468-8.
Mostert D, Molina AB, Daniells J, Fourie G, Hermanto C, Chao CP, Fabregar E, Sinohin VG, Masdek N, Thangavelu R, Li C, Yi G, Mostert L, Viljoen A. 2017. The distribution and host range of the banana Fusarium wilt fungus, Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. cubense, in Asia. PLoS One.12(7): e0181630. doi: 10.1371
- Kalaiponmani, K. Thangavelu, R. and G. Varun, G. 2017. Optimization of protein isolation and preliminary comparative Proteomics of pathogenic fusarium oxysporum f. Sp. Cubense (p-foc) and non pathogenic fusarium oxysporum (np-fo). Journal of Plant Pathology 99 (2), 361-369 (Equal contribution)
- Saravanakumar, A.S., Uma, S. Thangavelu, R. Backiyarani S., Saraswathi, M.S., Sriram, V. 2016. Preliminary analysis on the transcripts involved in resistance responses to eumusae leaf spot disease of banana caused by Mycosphaerella eumusae, a recent add-on of the Sigatoka disease complex 2016. Turkish Journal of Botany, 40: 1-11 (NAAS-5 – CITATION -0)
- Thangavelu, R. Varun, G. and Ganga Devi, P. 2016. Identification of differentially expressed genes from Fusarium oxysporum f.sp cubense and Trichoderma asperellum (prr2) interaction in susceptible banana cultivar Grand Naine. Turkish Journal of Botany. DOI: 10.3906/bot-1511-19.
- Uma S., Backiyarani S., Saravanakumar, A.S., ChandraSekar, A., Thangavelu R., and Saraswathi, M.S. 2016. Identification of Mycosphaerella eumusae responsive unique genes/transcripts from a resistant banana cultivar. DOI: 10.17660/ActaHortic.2016.1114.16. (NAAS-NIL – CITATION -0)
- Thangavelu R. and Gopi M. 2015. Combined application of native Trichoderma isolates possessing multiple functions for the control of Fusarium wilt disease in banana cv. Grand Naine, Biocontrol Science and Technology, 25:10, 1147-1164. (NAAS-6.94 CITATION -0)
- Thangavelu R. and Gopi M. 2015. Field suppression of Fusarium wilt in banana using combined application of native endophytic and rhizospheric bacterial isolates possessing multiple functions,Phytopathologia Mediterranea, 54:2, 241-252. (NAAS-6.97– CITATION -0)
- Backiyarani, S., Uma, S., Nithya, S., Chandrasekar, A., Saraswathi, M.S., Thangavelu, R., Mayilvagananan, M., Sundararaju, P. and Singh, N.K. 2015. Genome-wide analysis and differential expression of chitinases in banana against root lesion nematode (Pratylenchuscoffeae) and eumusae leaf spot (Mycosphaerellaeumusae) pathogens. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology. 175, 585-98.
- Gopi, M. and Thangavelu, R. 2014. Suppression of Fusarium wilt disease of banana by Zimmu (Allium cepaL. X Allium sativum L.) leaf extract. African Journal of Microbiology Research. 8(31), 2904-2915. (NAAS-4 – CITATION -0)
- Thangavelu, R. Ganga Devi, P. Gopi, M. Mustaffa, M.M. 2013. Management of Eumusae leaf spot disease of banana caused by Mycosphaerella eumusae with Zimmu (Allium sativum x Allium cepa) leaf extract. Crop Protection 46: 100-105. (NAAS-7.49 – CITATION -5)
- Sangeetha, G., Thangavelu, R. Usha Rani, S. Muthukumar, A. 2013. Antimicrobial activity of medicinal plants and induction of defense related compounds in banana fruits cv. Robusta against crown rot pathogens. Biological Control, 64, 16–25. (NAAS-7.64– CITATION -10)
- Mustaffa M.M. and Thangavelu R. 2011. Status of Fusarium wilt in India. Proceedings of International ISHS–Promusa Symposium on Global perspectives on Asian Challenges. Acta Horticulture. 897, 323-329.
- Thangavelu R., Muthukumar, K., Ganga Devi, P. Mustaffa, M. M. 2011. Genetic Diversity of Fusarium oxysporum f.sp. cubense isolates (Foc) of India by inter simple sequence repeats (ISSR) analysis. Molecular Biotechnology. 51, 203-211.
- Thangavelu R., Suganya Devi, P., Chrismala P.M., and Mustaffa M.M. 2011. Cross infection and genetic Diversity of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp.cubense, the causal agent of Fusarium wilt in Banana. International ISHS–Promusa Symposium on Global perspectives on Asian Challenges. Acta Horticulture. 897, 353- 362.
- Sangeetha G., Thangavelu R. and Usha Rani, S. 2010. Evaluation of plant oils for suppression of crown rot disease and improvement of shelf life of banana (Musa spp. AAA subgroup, cv.Robusta) International Journal of Food Science and Technology, 45, 1024–1032.
- Sangeetha, G., Thangavelu, R., Usha Rani, S., Muthukumar, A. and Udayakumar, R. 2010. Induction of systemic resistance by mixtures of antagonist bacteria for the management of crown rot complex on banana. Acta Physiology Plantarum. 32, 1177–1187.
- Thangavelu R. and Mustaffa M. M. 2010. First reports of corm rot disease caused by Sclerotium rolfsii in banana. Australasian Plant Disease Notes. 5, 30–33.
- Thangavelu, R. and Mustaffa, M. M. 2010. A potential isolate of Trichoderma viride NRCB1 and its mass production for the effective management of Fusarium wilt disease in banana. Tree and Forestry Science and Biotechnology. 4, 76-84.
- Thangavelu, R. and Mustaffa, M. M. 2010. First Report on the Occurrence of a Virulent Strain of Fusarium Wilt Pathogen (Race-1) Infecting Cavendish (AAA) Group of Bananas in India. Plant Disease. 94, 1379.
- Thangavelu, R and Jayanthi, A. 2009. RFLP analysis of rDNA-ITS of native non–pathogenic Fusarium oxysporum isolates and their field evaluation for the suppression of Fusarium wilt disease of banana. Australasian Plant Pathology. 38, 13-21.
- Thangavelu, R., Sangeetha, G. and Mustaffa. M. M. 2007. Cross-infection potential of crown rot pathogen (Lasiodiplodia theobromae) isolates and their management using potential native bioagents in banana. Australasian Plant Pathology. 36, 595–605.
- Thangavelu, R., Palaniswami, A. and Velazhahan, R. 2004. Mass multiplication of Trichoderma harzianum using biodegradable banana waste for the control of Fusarium wilt of banana. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment. 103(1), 259-263.
- Thangavelu, R., Sundararaju, P. and Sathiamoorthy, S. 2004. Management of anthracnose disease of banana caused by Colletotrichum musae using plant extracts. Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology. 79 (5), 664 – 668.
- Thangavelu, R., Palaniswami, A., Doraiswamy, S. and Velazhahan, R. 2003. The effect of Pseudomonas fluorescens and Fusarium oxysporum f.sp. cubense on induction of defense enzymes and phenolics in banana. Biologia plantarum. 46 (1), 107-112.
- Thangavelu, R., Palaniswami, A., Ramakrishnan, G., Sabitha Duraiswamy., Muthukrishnan. S. and Velazhahan, R. 2001. Involvement of Fusaric acid detoxification by Pseudomonas fluorescens strain Pf10 in the biological control of Fusarium wilt of banana caused by Fusarium oxysporum f.sp. cubense. J. of Plant Diseases and protection. 108 (5), 433-445.
- Radhajeyalakshmi, R., Meena, B., Thangavelu, R., Deborah, S.D., Vidhyasekaran, P. and Velazhahan, R. 2000. A 45-kDa chitinase purified from pearl millet (Pennisetum glaucum (L.) shows antifungal activity. J. of Plant Diseases and protection. 107(6), 605-616.
- Neethi Baruah, Ashok Bhattacharyya, R. Thangavelu and K. C. Puzari 2018. In vitro Screening of Native Banana Rhizospheric Microbes and Endophytes of Assam against Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. cubense . Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. App. Sci 7(6): 1575-1583.
- Sumathi, S.and. Thangavelu, R. 2016. Biodiversity of Arbuscular Mycorrhizal Fungi (AMF) in banana plantations in India. Plant Archives16 (1): 210-216
- Sumathi, S.and. Thangavelu, R. 2016. Co-Inoculation of Arbuscular Mycorrhizal Fungi (AMF) and their Mycorrhizae Helper Bacteria (MHB) effectively suppresses Fusarium Wilt in Banana. Plant Archives 16 (1) : 365-375
- Saraswathi, M.S., Kannan, G., Uma,S., Thangavelu, R. and Backiyarani, S. 2016. Improvement of banana cv. Rasthali against Foc (VCG 0124/5) through induced mutagenesis: Determination of LD50 specific to mutagen, explants, toxins and in vitro and in vivo screening for Fusarium wilt resistance. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology. 54: 345-353
- Ganga Devi, P. and Thangavelu R. 2014. Genetic diversity analyses of Mycosphaerella eumusae causing Septoria leaf spot disease of banana in India. Indian Phytopathology. 67 (4), 388-395.
- Saraswathi, M.S., Praveena, S. Uma, S. Thangavelu, R., Kannan, G., Backiyarani, S. and Arivazhagan, T. 2014. Development of an efficient micro propagation technique for Musa cv. Udhayam (ABB). Indian Journal of Horticulture. 71 (4), 452-457.
- Padmanaban, B. Thangavelu, R. Gopi, M. and Musataffa, M. M. 2009. Effect of mass multiplication media on sporulation, field efficacy and shelf life of Beauveria bassiana against rhizome and pseudostem weevils of banana. Journal of Biological control. 23, 277-283.
- Sundararaju, P. and Thangavelu, R. 2009. Influence of Pratylenchus coffeae and Meloidogyne incognita on the Fusarium wilt complex of Banana. Indian Journal of Nematology. 39, 71-74.
- Sundararaju, P., Thangavelu, R. and Cannayane, I. 2002. Management of Pratylenchus coffeae and Melodogyne incognita on banana by using endophytic fungi. Current Nematology. 13(1), 69-71.
- Padmanaban, B., Thangavelu, R. and Sundararaju, P. 2000. Occurrence of Giant African snail, Achatina fulicaboa on banana. Indian J. Entomology. 62, 95-97.
- Meena, B., Ramamoorthy, V, GulsarBanu, J., Thangavelu, R. and Muthusamy, M. 2000. Screening of rice genotypes against sheath blight disease. Journal of Eco Biology. 12 (2), 103-109.
- Thangavelu R., Padmasri M., Satyanarayana K., and Reddy, A.P.K. 1996. Effect of different Neem based formulations on Rice blast. Indian J. of Plant Protection, 23, 153-156.
- Thangavelu, R. and Ramabadran, R. 1993. Quantitative changes in Nitrogen content due to lignite humic acid application. Madras Agric. J. 80(10), 575-580.