||Ph.D in Horticulture, Post Doctoral training Leuven, Belgium
|Specialization / Discipline
||Horticulture/ Plant Biotechnology
|Salient Research Achievements
- Developed national Musa information database.
- Released 6 varieties : Udhayam, Kavery Kalki, Kavery Kanya, Kavery Sugantham, Kavery Haritha and Kavery Saba.
- Identified four new Musa species and a natural tetraploid (ABBB).
- Developed embryogenic cell suspensions and genetic transformation protocol.
- Developed next generation tissue culture techniques using bioreactor.
- Developed farmers friendly ‘Khela Vruddhi’ techniques for production of planting material.
- As a team leader, developed sea protocol for banana export for a transit period upto 45 days
- As a team leader, developed biofortified bananas with PVA (11 times) and Iron (5.5. times) through genetic transformation.
- Developed embryo rescue techniques for hybrid regeneration.
- Developed embryo in-vitro protocols for the production of multiple shoots and hybrid generation
- Developed tissue culture protocols for several endangered and near extinct banana landraces and rejuvenation in their natural habitats
- Developed baseline information on banana breeding strategies
- Identified nutritionally rich banana for minerals and vitamins
- Improvement and management of banana genetic resources in the Indian sub continent. (PI)
- Improvement through conventional breeding. (Co-PI)
- Improvement of cv.Grande Naine (Cavendish - AAA) for Fusarium wilt resistance through non-conventional breeding. (Co-PI)
- Development of trait specific markers for fusarium wilt resistance through association mapping studies in banana (Musa spp.) (Co-PI)
- Network project on Transgenic in crops – Banana functional genomics (Sigatoka & Drought component) - As National Coordinator
- Bio fortification and Disease Resistance in Banana ( Phase II) – as National Coordinator
Component-3: : Development of efficient ECS for Rasthali and providing to Indian Partners (PI) – As National Coordinator
- Improvement of Banana for Small Holder Farmers in the Great Lake Regions of Africa Indian component – Breeding for improved bananas with Fusarium wilt (Fusarium oxysporum f sp. cubense) resistance (PI)– As National Coordinator
|Area of Interest
||Genetic resources, breeding, in-vitro regeneration, Bioreactor technology
|Total Research Publications
|Best five Publications
- S.Uma, M.Kumaravel, S.Backiyarani, M.Saraswathi, P.Durai, R.Karthic. 2021. Somatic embryogenesis as a tool for reproduction of genetically stable plants in banana and confirmatory field trials. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture (PCTOC). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11240-021-02108-0.
- Rashmi Agarwal, Rakesh Jain, S.Uma, R.Thangavelu. Tropical Wilt Race 4 affecting banana cultivation. Policy Paper No.92, National Academy of Agricultural Sciences, New Delhi: 12p.
- Kumaravel, M., Uma, S, Backiyarani, S. et al. 2020. Proteomic analysis of somatic embryo development in Musa spp. cv. Grand Naine (AAA). 2020. Scientific Reports (Nature) 10, 4501 https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-61005-2.
- Uma, S, Sasikala, R, Sharmiladevi, S, Backiyarani S, Saraswathi M S 2020. Unravelling the regulatory network of transcription factors in parthenocarpy. Scientia Horticulturae, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scienta.2019.108920.
- Thangavelu, R., Saraswathi, M.S., Uma, S. et al. Identification of sources resistant to a virulent Fusarium wilt strain (VCG 0124) infecting Cavendish bananas. Sci Rep 11, 3183 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-82666-7
- Sardar Patel Outstanding ICAR Institution Award - 2020
- Punjabrao Deshmukh Best Women Agricultural Scientist Award - 2008
- PISANG RAJAH Award from Bioversity International, France.
- Biodiversity conservation award – 2019 from AIPUB & Bioversity International, France
- Dr.(Ms.)Prem Dureja Endowment Award – 2020 from NAAS, New Delhi
- Dr.Kalayya Krishnamurthy National Award - 2019-2020 from Univ. of Agrl. Sciences, Bengaluru
- Dr.M.H.Marigowda National Endowment Award for best Horticultural Research – 2019 from Univ. of Agrl. Sciences, Bengaluru
- Indo-Japan best bioresource utilization award - 2018 from NIT, Guwahati
- Girdhari Lal Chadha Memorial Gold Medal in Fruit Science – 2012 from HSI, New Delhi
- Kadali Puraskar Award – 2003 from AIPUB
- Best Research Paper Award – from ISHS held in Turkey – 2018
- Best Poster Presentation Award from International Conference on Banana, GAAS, China in 2008
- Sir JC Bose Memorial Award - 2020
- Fellow of NAAS 2020 (National Academy of Agril. Science, New Delhi)
- Fellow of HSI (Horticulture Society of India, New Delhi)
- Fellow of ISPGR (Indian Society for Plant Genetic Resources, New Delhi)
- Fellow of AIPUB (Association for the Improvement in Production and Utilisation of Banana, Trichy)
- Fellow of CHAI (Confederation of Horticultural Associations of India, New Delhi)